Friday, March 11, 2016

COMMENTARY: Harvick Is Staying Put At SHR

Just for the record: Kevin Harvick is not leaving Stewart-Haas Racing when the team converts to Ford in 2017.

Since SHR announced plans to swap manufacturers at season’s end, speculation has run rampant in some quarters that the 2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion might abandon his championship-winning team to remain in the Chevrolet camp. Harvick put that speculation to rest,once and for all today, saying that his current situation is too good to walk away from.


“I don’t see any reason… why that would change,’’ said Harvick in a Friday morning media availability. “I’m in the best position that I’ve been in with my team. I feel like I have the best crew chief in the garage. It would be pretty tough to turn around and walk out on everybody who has been a part of building everything that we’ve built so far.’’

Harvick has been a Chevy man throughout his Sprint Cup Series career, in large part because the two organizations for which he has raced – Richard Childress Racing and SHR – were Chevrolet teams. Had Harvick gotten the call from Roush Fenway Racing in 2001, rather than RCR, there is every likelihood that he would have driven Fords at that time.
 
And now, he shows no indication of abandoning a Stewart Haas Racing team that took him from occasional race winner to perennial championship contender.

“I got a great team, I’ve got great people, I’ve got a great organization that’s wanting to win races,” said Harvick today. “To not be committed to them would be foolish on my part."

Kevin Harvick is no fool.

1 comment: