Monday, October 20, 2014

Raymond Beadle Dies At Age 70

Drag racing champion and former NASCAR team owner Raymond Beadle passed away today in his hometown of Dallas, after a period of ill health.

Beadle owned and drove the legendary “Blue Max” Funny Car to a trio of NHRA championships and an equal number of IHRA crowns in the late 1970s and early `80s. He owned a highly successful team on the then-NASCAR Winston Cup Series from 1983 to 1990, fielding cars for the late Tim Richmond before winning the 1989 series championship with driver Rusty Wallace, and also fielded a .World of Outlaws Sprint Car for Hall Of Famer Sammy Swindell.

Wallace commented on his former team owner’s passing today via Twitter, saying, “Really saddened by news about Raymond Beadle. Without him, I would have never gotten to where I am today. He will be greatly missed.”

Beadle was 70 years of age.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:20 PM

    I knew him in the 70's and 80's when I drag raced and actually helped him put the chute on the back of the Blue Max on the return road at Englishtown when I was taking photos at the finish line back in the day when film and Leica's were king. He was an amazing man. When he auctioned off all of his race 'stuff' years ago I couldn't get to the auction because of other commitments. But I will have that memory of him till the next life.

    Rest in Peace sir, you were a hero not only to me but to many.


    D NJ

    ReplyDelete