Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Edwards Quashes Rumors, Will Remain At Roush Fenway

Edwards will remain at RFR
Carl Edwards didn’t even wait for hte question to be asked today, before launching a pre-emptive strike to quell internet reports of his impending departure to Penske Racing to drive the No. 22 Sprint Cup Series Ford next season.

Edwards told reporters in a media teleconference today that he has a standing contract with Roush Fenway Racing, and intends to honor it.

"No one has asked me specifically about it, but there's a lot of talk about me driving the 22 car next year," said Edwards. "I want everybody… in the media to know that's impossible.

"I haven't discussed that ever, with anyone at Penske,” he insisted. “I'm contracted to drive the 99 car. I'm very excited about next season (with RFR), and that's what's happening, in case anybody wants to know.” Edwards said the unfounded speculation has “gotten bad enough that sponsors and folks are asking me about it. I have to try to address that now and make sure you know I'll be driving the 99 car next year for sure.

"I don't ever talk about specifics of my contract," he said. "Those are private contracts. I think there's even a line in there that says I can't talk about specifics of my contract, and neither can other folks (with the team). I don't want to talk about any of those specifics, but I can tell you this; I will be driving the 99 Fastenal Ford next year.”

Edwards also scoffed at reports that Shell/Pennzoil will jump from Penske Racing to Roush Fenway next season to sponsor his No. 99 Ford, adding that he never considered the speculation worthy of comment until today.

“I thought that was so silly that it had (no) traction,” he said. “But I guess it had."

1 comment:

  1. Cale Hagen3:14 PM

    WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOW TAKE THAT FRUSTRATION OUT ON THEM IN ATLANTA AND LOCK US IN TO THE CHASE!

    ReplyDelete