Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Cassill Swaps Rides, Moves To Phoenix Racing

Landon Cassill will move from the #60 Germain Racing Sprint Cup entry to James Finch’s #09 Phoenix Racing Chevrolet, beginning this weekend at Auto Club Speedway. Cassill replaces former Sprint Cup Series champion Bill Elliott, who ran the first four races of the season. Phoenix Racing originally planned to run Elliott in up to 18 races this year, but have struggled to an average finish of 23.5, with a best showing of 12th in the season opener at Daytona.

“Hopefully, I can do good enough to keep the car in the top 35,” said Cassill. “This is my first real opportunity to drive the same car every week, and be able to run the entire race. James Finch expects me to run well, but that’s okay. I welcome the challenge.”

Phoenix uses chassis and engines from Hendrick Motorsports, for whom Cassill has served as a developmental and test driver for the past five years. "I’m excited to be in Hendrick equipment,” he said. “I obviously know their stuff pretty well. I’m comfortable in it, I know the kind of stuff they’re trying and I think it’s going to be good.”

Cassill will make his debut with Phoenix Racing this weekend at Auto Club Speedway, with sponsorship from Rydex/Security Benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment