Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Skinner Confirms RMM Split, Looking For New Toyota Truck Ride

After weeks of conjecture, Mike Skinner confirmed today that he will not return to the Randy Moss Motorsports Camping World Truck Series team this season. Skinner told Sirius NASCAR Radio’s Sirius Speedway with Dave Moody that his parting with RMM was amicable.

“I can’t say anything bad about David Dollar or Randy Moss,” he said. “They gave me a chance in 2009 when I didn’t have anything going. We had Cinderella season; winning three races, finishing third in points, and it was great. When (crewchief) Eric Phillips left, the chemistry just wasn’t there anymore. It was no fault of theirs, and no fault of mine. It just didn’t work out.”

The RMM/Skinner tandem slipped substantially in performance last season, finishing eighth in points with only two Top-5 finishes in 25 starts. And Skinner said that slip was attributable to chemistry. “Chemistry is real important in our sport and we just didn’t have it,” he said. “I wish (RMM) a lot of luck. They’ve got a real good operation there, and I look for them to do well in the future.”

Skinner said he is searching for a new ride, and would prefer to remain in the Toyota camp. “I’ve been with Toyota since they arrived in NASCAR,” he said. “They’ve picked me out of the dirt a couple of times, and I would like to stay with them. If I never race again, I’ll be thankful to Toyota for everything they’ve done. And if there’s any way to get back into a Toyota again, I’d like to do it.

“I’m not throwing in towel,” said the former series champion. “I have a hell of a fire in my belly right now; more than I’ve had in years. I’m not ready to hang it up yet. My phone has rung a lot (recently), but I haven’t found a situation I can win with yet. I have no desire to go out and run 12th.”

Skinner said he has spoken to teams in the Sprint Cup garage about serving as a start-and-park driver this season, and has had “a couple of truck teams” approach him, as well.

“I’ve talked to one Truck team that wins 50 percent of its races, and I could drive for them tomorrow if the money was there,” he said. “If I’ve got the bucks in my pocket, I can pick my ride. There are a lot of rich daddys out there who get their kids into good rides simply by writing a big check.

“I’ve got credentials. I don’t have to prove myself, but I need a sponsor to go with it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment